Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One page one landowner one tenant many fields

I am fairly new to transcribing, and have chosen a page of tithe map details, but unsure how to proceed.
The single landowner name is spread over lines 1 to 3, the final line being Contd. (as in continued from previous page).
The single occupier name appears on line 2.
The single field name appears on line 1.
The first field number appears on line 2.
So do I enter the landowner, occupier and field name against line 2, together with the details of the first field?
Do I then leave landowner, occupier and field name blank on subsequent lines, (there is no 'Do' or '"' in the relevant columns)?
Where land use is 'Do', do I enter the previous value, or 'Do' or leave blank?
Tagged:

Comments

• Generally speaking, enter the pertinent details on the first available line. I understand the final software will 'ripple down' the missing cells.

Where there's a 'Do' it's up to you - some Tx'ers enter Do, some copy the previous entry.

Post up the county, parish & page so we can have a look.
  • Thanks. Cardiganshire, Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn, 46-57, 4. I've got some way down the page, but then started doubting what I was doing!
  • Treat the Field Number as your reference on every line.
    On a page like #4, with very faint rulings, trying to start with the Landowner column throws your alignment out and really slows your transcription speed.
    Pay particular attention to the first line you put on the page, as it sets the alignment for everthing which follows.

Pasture V. Rough is "Pasture & Rough"

I've started page 6 how I would Tx it. My first line was actually 601, nice and simple to position the cells. Then up to the document's first line, 592, but starting with the Perches column. Then use Shift + Enter to go backwards along the line. It's a bit of a faff, but really helps when you come across very slanted pages!

The first payment column is empty for the whole page, so I would Tx all the payable tithes in the second column as per the original scribe, and put a comment on the Sheet Status when the page is finished.
  • I thoroughly endorse impvan's suggestions.
    For what they are worth, I offer a few more:

1 If you are new to transcribing Apportionment documents, steer clear of those with the text that it is not horizontal. With experience you will be able to tackle skewed images, but initially it's possible to go horibly wrong.

2 Of vital importance is to keep all the data in one row linked to the Field Number, i.e. the number in column 3. This number is displayed white on red at the left of your screen - once it has been defined, by you.
    The best way to ensure the data within one row stays referenced to this number is to use the Return (or Enter) key to move right between columns, or Shift/Enter to move left. Only use the mouse to select the first data box, the Field Number, in each row. Make use of +/- to get a better view.

3 Always check that the data you are entering in a specific column corresponds to the column name displayed in the small window to the left of the data entry box. The column that the computer thinks you want to use is highlighted black on green. You can use the up/down cursor keys to move vertically in this menu when unused columns are still available.

4. Shift with vertical cursor keys allows you to coarsely adjust your 'box' vertical position on the apportionment document. Horizontal adjustment with the cursor keys does not require the Shift key combination. This technique only works when you first position a 'box' - not to move the box once it contains data.

Delete the whole row if you mess up.

5. Postfix a, b, c etc after field numbers must be entered exactly as they have been entered by the person who transcribed the map. So for example if 'A' has been used on the map, but it has been enetered as 'a' on the Apportionment document then there will be no link made to the map. Similarly if a space is placed bewteen the number and the letter on the map then there will be no link if there is no space on the corresponding document, e.g. 387 a will not link to 387a.

6. Another reason for non linkage is when the map transcriber has erroneously entered a new line character (the Enter key) after the field number. You will have to go into the map and edit the Field number entry to correct this. You can tell if there is such a character there by positioning the caret (text cursor) after the field number and tapping the right cursor key - if the caret goes to the next line, you have found and offending new line character. Press Backspace to delete it.

7. Map transcribers sometimes enter text with the field number on the tithe map, e.g. '1203 Trawsycoed', when it has to be just '1203'. This will also prevent linkeage, and the map label must be corrected.
  • Thanks for all the help Impvan and Colin. The first few rows were a pain to get right, and I had to delete and re-enter a few rows, but starting on the field number worked well, and I soon got in the swing of positioning the field number box carefully and found everything fell into place quite well after that. Although I am worried that I pressed enter to move from field to field rather than the right arrow...
  • I think you should press "Enter." The right/left arrow moves an unfilled box - a different procedure.